Tucson, Sarizona

I am so great! I am so great! Everybody loves me! I am so great!

10 July 2007

What Happens in Mexico...


Involves a lot of tea, both hot and iced.

Well, I'll attempt a synopsis of our Cancun trip without being too disjointed or leaving too much out. I predict failure...but here goes.

Let's preface this (some more) by saying all the pics are on J. Ray's camera, so who knows when they'll be available for viewing.

The best thing about Cancun in my opinion is Xel-Ha. I could have spent every day there. I've linked it, so that you all can see what it is, and I won't have to explain anymore. Yesssss! Go me! J. Ray got her first taste of hammock life, and she's totally into it. I was totally into the unexpectedly awesome salad bar, though I have experienced those before...but not in Mexico (or the midwest, if you're keeping track).

Chichen Itza was also cool, and we stopped at a cenote on the way there. This was a natural spring well in a cave that we got to swim in. It was incredible and cold, which is what we're used to dealing with, seeing as we spend most of our swimming time in the Atlantic when we can help it. They also had this ledge that you could just from way up high, but we didn't do that cause why? Best case scenario features a bathing suit right up your butt if you go feet first or a likely painful belly flop if you attempt a dive from that height. We were perfectly happy just to swim around amongst the vines/roots hanging from the ceiling and the fishes (not hanging from the ceiling).

So anyways, Chichen Itza. I was so happy to find out that not only the Mayans lived there, but also the Aztecs, in relative harmony. I was happy about this because I remembered a lot about the Aztecs (and their crazy, blood thirsty ways) from LAMS, and I always thought they were more interesting. I mean, what did the Mayans give us? The integer zero? Accurate calendars? Big deal. It all pales in comparison to DeathBall. The coolest stuff about Chichen Itza included snakes and sound, seperately. There was all kinds of stuff about how they built the structures to echo certain ways and what not that I found fascinating, and snakes were represented everywhere every time I turned around. Even the big pyramid, my favourite, had this cool thing that it does during the equinox where the sun makes a snake shadow crawl down the building. Learning about DeathBall was relatively fun, too. They also had sacred cenote, but we didn't swim there because it was gross, there was no way out, and it was fully of dead, sacrificed virgins. They used to load them up with heavy dresses and jewelry and throw them in so they'd sink to the bottom. Oh, there was also this crazy Choc Mool guy that they used to put human hearts on. I have a really good idea for a necklace involving him, but I'm not going to say it cause I don't want it stolen.

We had many other adventures, involving our sexually promiscuous 12-year old waiter, stolen shorts, and hostile bed take-overs, but I want to be done now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home